The Allstate Corporation is one of the largest publicly held personal lines insurers in the United States. We protect people from life’s uncertainties with a wide array of products for autos, homes and personal property, primarily in the U.S. and Canada.
Strategy and businesses
Our strategy has two components:
- Increase personal property-liability market share
- Expand protection offerings by leveraging the Allstate brand, customer base and capabilities
We are expanding our protection business by using our distribution network, data analytics, claims sophistication, investment expertise, talent and capital. Our innovative growth platforms and broad distribution include: Allstate exclusive agents, independent agents, contact centers, web and mobile, retailers, workplace benefits brokers, auto dealers, original equipment manufacturers and telecom providers. These further enhance our customer value proposition.
Through Transformative Growth, Allstate is creating a new business model, capabilities and culture that continually adapts to better serve customers. This is done by providing affordable, simple and connected protection through multiple distribution channels. The ultimate objective is to create continuous transformative growth in all of our businesses.
Transformative growth elements
Expand customer access
- Transforming our Allstate agent sales system to enable more growth at a lower cost by incenting agents to focus on sales, while expanding our distribution capacity through new agent models
- Driving direct channel growth through improved online experience and data-driven insights to enhance call center sales
- Growing National General by leveraging the Allstate brand capabilities and data to enhance product offerings and expand our independent agency footprint
Improve customer value
- Improving the competitive prices of products and experiences through increased digital self-service capabilities, operating efficiencies, automation and lower distribution costs
- Enhancing pricing sophistication to price products based on customer needs and risks and improving the purchase process with automated decision support Increasing engagement with the Allstate Mobile app and new business penetration of telematics products, including pay-per-mile insurance
- Leveraging our circle of protection to provide added consumer-focused protection solutions
Increase customer acquisition sophistication
- Improving the effectiveness and broadening the in-market tactics driving customer acquisition through expanding lead management, building data capabilities and advancing household insights
Modernize technology ecosystem
- Building an ecosystem to enable a better customer experience, increased sales and retention, and allowing greater flexibility at a lower cost through affordable, simple, connected products and retiring legacy systems
Includes the Allstate brand, National General and Answer Financial. Offers private-passenger auto, homeowners, other personal lines and commercial insurance through agents, contact centers and online. The Encompass brand was combined into National General beginning in the first quarter of 2021 and results prior to 2021 reflect Encompass brand results only.
Allstate Protection differentiates itself by offering a comprehensive range of affordable, simple and connected protection solutions across distribution channels for specific consumer segments.
The Allstate Protection segment accounted for 91.9% of Allstate’s 2021 consolidated insurance premiums and contract charges and 20.0% of Allstate’s December 31, 2021, policies in force (PIF). Our strategy is to offer products in an open access, digital first model that allows customers to interact with us when, where and how they want with affordable, simple and connected protection products.
We have three market-facing property-liability businesses, Allstate brand, National General and Answer Financial with products and services that cater to different customer preferences for advice and brand recognition.
Strategy Allstate Protection’s strategy is to increase personal lines market share through Transformative Growth focusing on:
- Expanding customer access to Allstate and National General products and services through the methods of interaction customers want
- Improving customer value by making it easier to do business with us and improved price competitiveness driven by reducing our cost structure
- Increasing sophistication and investment in customer acquisition
- Deploying new technology to support customer experience and product management ecosystems
We serve our consumers using differentiated products, analytical expertise, telematics and an integrated digital enterprise that leverages data and technology to execute processes with a focus on greater effectiveness and efficiency.
Includes Allstate Protection Plans, Allstate Dealer Services, Allstate Roadside, Arity and Allstate Identity Protection, which offer a broad range of solutions and services that expand and enhance our customer value propositions. Protection Services primarily operate in the U.S. and Canada, with Allstate Protection Plans also offering services in Europe, Australia and Asia.
The Protection Services segment accounted for 4.7% of Allstate’s 2021 consolidated total revenue and 77.7% of Allstate’s December 31, 2021 PIF.
Strategy Protection Services' strategy is to deliver innovative customer protection solutions and expand distribution through strategic partners in the flow of commerce.
Allstate health and benefits
Offers voluntary benefits and individual life and health products, including life, accident, critical illness, short-term disability and other health insurance products sold through independent agents, benefits brokers and Allstate exclusive agents.
We primarily operate in the U.S. (all 50 states and D.C.) and Canada. The top geographic markets based on 2021 statutory direct premiums are reflected below.
The Allstate Health and Benefits segment (previously Allstate Benefits) accounted for 4.5% of Allstate’s 2021 consolidated total revenue and 2.3% of Allstate’s December 31, 2021 PIF. Allstate Health and Benefits is well represented in all market segments and is a leader in the large and mega (over 10,000 employees) market segments.
Starting in the first quarter of 2021, National General’s accident and health products, which include accident and medical health insurance products, are included in the Allstate Health and Benefits segment. Allstate Health and Benefits is differentiated through its broad product portfolio, flexible enrollment solutions, strong national accounts team and well-recognized brand.
Strategy Our strategy for growth is to deliver substantially more value through innovative products and technology, tailored solutions and exceptional service through investments in future-state technologies and data and analytics capabilities.
Corporate and other
Includes holding company activities and certain non-insurance operations.
Please read more about our business segments in Allstate’s 2021 Form 10-K.
Products and distribution
- Specialty auto (motorcycle, trailer, motor home and off-road vehicle)
- Other personal lines (renters, condominium, landlord, boat, umbrella, manufactured home and stand-alone scheduled personal property)
- Commercial lines
In the U.S., we offer products through 9,300 Allstate exclusive agents operating in 9,400 locations, supported by 21,700 licensed sales professionals, and 800 exclusive financial specialists. We also offer products through 7,800 independent agents, contact centers, online and Market Sales Associates, a new employee model. In Canada, we offer Allstate brand products through 1,000 employee sales agents.
Distributed through over 43,000 independent agent locations, approximately 540 retail stores, contact centers and online.
Comparison quotes and sales offered online or through contact centers.
Allstate exclusive agents also support the Protection Services and Allstate Health and Benefits segments through offering roadside assistance, consumer protection plans and voluntary benefits products. We have expanded the non-proprietary product suite to include a range of life insurance products offered by third-party providers.
Better serve customers
We improved our competitive price position in auto insurance through continued cost reductions and pricing sophistication. Distribution was expanded with increased sales through Allstate’s direct channels and National General’s independent agent relationships. The Enterprise Net Promoter Score, which measures how likely customers are to recommend us, was 0.2 points below year-end 2020.
Grow customer base
We are providing a broader set of offerings through more distribution channels. Property-Liability policies in force increased 13.7% in 2021, driven by expanded customer access from the acquisition of National General and Allstate brand growth. Auto insurance market share increased about 1 percentage point. Protection Services policies in force grew 8.9%, largely driven by Allstate Protection Plans’ expanded relationships with retailers and extension into appliance and furniture protection.
Achieve target returns on capital
The Property-Liability combined ratio of 95.9 for the full year increased compared to the prior year, primarily due to higher auto losses in the second half of the year. The combined ratio is the percentage of each customer dollar spent on claims and expenses. Allstate is responding to higher loss costs with insurance rate increases, ongoing cost reductions and claims loss cost management. It’s about spending every customer dollar wisely and managing costs so we can provide the best value to customers.
Proactively manage investments
Net investment income was $3.3 billion in 2021, exceeding the prior year by $1.7 billion due to exceptional performance-based results. Total return on the $64.7 billion investment portfolio was 4.4% in 2021, reflecting higher performance-based income and equity returns, partially offset by fixed income valuation declines.
Build long-term growth platforms
The acquisition of National General makes us a top-five personal lines insurer in the independent agency channel, broadens protection provided by the Health and Benefits businesses and expands Arity’s marketing services. Protection Services continue to grow, particularly Allstate Protection Plans, Dealer Services and Identity Protection. Arity expanded its telematics and marketing services with LeadCloud, Transparently and Arity IQ. The Allstate life insurance companies were divested to focus capital on higher risk adjusted returns.
Risks are categorized by
- Insurance and financial services
- Business, strategy and operations
- Macro, regulatory and risk environment
Many risks may affect more than one category and are included where the impact is most significant. If some of these risk factors occur, they may cause the emergence of or exacerbate the impact of other risk factors, which could materially increase the severity of the impact of these risks on our business, results of operations, financial condition or liquidity.
Insurance and financial services
Risks related to the insurance and financial services industries:
- Claim frequency and severity volatility
- Catastrophes and severe weather
- Loss cost estimates are complex and losses are unknown at the time policies are soldInvestment results are subject to volatility and valuation judgments
Business, strategy and operations
Risks related to Allstate’s business and operating model:
- Highly competitive industry, impacted by new and changing technologies
- Operating model effectiveness in light of changing customer preferences
- Ability to maintain catastrophe reinsurance programs and limits
- Fluctuations in financial strength and ratings
Macro, regulatory and risk environment
Risks that impact most companies:
- Adverse changes in economic and capital market conditions
- Large-scale pandemic events
- Cybersecurity and privacy events
- Changing climate conditions
- Regulatory and political changes
- Loss of key business relationships
- Ability to attract, develop and retain talent
Please read more about our risk factors in Allstate’s 2021 Form 10-Q.